Let’s hope not. After that Yonkers song and a mediocre Goblin album, Tyler hit the pinnacle of his career. He won a VMA, his music videos received millions of views, and even Eminem said he like Tyler.
So what is next? How much longer can Tyler keep from going mainstream? But then again, how many more times can he release the same album? Let’s face it, Bastard and Goblin sounded the exact same. They are almost identical.
His newest album, Wolf, is going to be his most important album. This is a chance to get his own lane established. He could forever cement himself in music greatness by either trying something new or taking his familiar concept and improving it with better production. Unfortunately though, Tyler said that Wolf will be less rapping and more production, and he wants to talk about having money and buying random shit.
I’m going to give you a list of reasons Tyler will sell out and a list of reasons how he can avoid it.
How Tyler Will Sell Out:
1. He wants to talk about money now, that puts him up there with every rapper on the entire planet.
2. Famous features. Bigger artists will throw money at Tyler, and as much as he likes to deny he’d do a lame song with a mainstream artist, money talks.
3. Starts rapping about materialistic things and having sex with hoes left and right. As if we need to hear that anymore.
4. He wants to get a Grammy, the only way to do that is to sell out. Unless you’re Eminem.
How Tyler Can Avoid It:
1. Tyler is an awesome rapper. He has the potential to save the game. IF he wants to reach greatness, Wolf needs to contain sick lines, sick beats, and BETTER FEATURES. I know he loves his Odd Future family, but those moochers will only hold him back, with the exception of Frank Ocean.
2. Start making songs people can relate to. Horrocore is cool and all, but even Eminem couldn’t make a career out of it and he’s the greatest of all time. What Tyler needs is that one song that not only shows his vulnerability, but his MATURITY. The one thing that keeps me from being a fan of his, is his asshole attitude. WE GET IT BRO. You’re 19, don’t care, blahhh blahhh blahhh. The only thing worse than generic celebrity answers, is the celebrity who tries way too hard to be an asshole.
3. It is time to mature a little. Let’s face it, 2 albums about killing people and making funny songs is great and all, but Tyler needs to show his progression. I have a bad feeling he will neither get better or worse, he will be in the same constant medium. That will alienate people. I like Tyler’s music, but if you listen to 3 songs on his albums, you’ve pretty much heard the rest. I can’t stress enough about the importance of getting some famous producers to make amazing beats and have Tyler delivering creative lines. If you listen to his song “P”, that is what Wolf needs to be.
Tyler the Creator and Eminem are very similar. Eminem had D12, Tyler has Odd Future. What Eminem did was, ditch D12 and team up with a legendary producer and then started a Batman and Robin thing. Right now, Odd Future will be what kills Tyler. HE needs to take Frank Ocean and get the fuck out. Find a producer, ONE producer, and start killing it in the booth. Until then, Tyler will either be stuck right where he is at for the rest of his career, or he will turn into another 50 Cent.
Now let’s review what happened with 50 and the rest of the rappers who were supposed to save hip hop…
50 Cent delivered a CLASSIC hip hop album, Get rich or Die Trying, and was supposed to be the savior of hip hop. Then he got with G-Unit, let go of the hardest rapper in the group, then started name dropping, and hasn’t been able to recover since.
Lil Wayne was supposed to save hip hop. He did, for a while, but then he created Young Money. Instead of saving hip hop, he sold out hip hop. And then his apprentice (Drizzzzy) became bigger than he was. Now Lil Wangs career is all but over.
Drizzzzy was supposed to save hip hop…
What I’m trying to say is, hip hop is almost gone. It needs to have that person who will carry the torch that Eminem, Nas, and Jay-Z have been carrying for 15 years. That could be Tyler and Kendrick Lamar. The potential is there, they just need to surround themselves with the people that will PROGRESS them, not mooch them.
Odd Future, D12, G-Unit, YMCMBCDEFGHIJKLMNOP need to GTFO.
NO. NO. NO NO. (Chancellor Palpatine voice)